Wildernesse Golf Club
For over 125 years golfers have enjoyed the beautiful wooded course and warm hospitality the Wildernesse Club has to offer. Founded in 1890 the Club has a proud heritage and today is a private members' club which offers a very special place for both members and visitors to enjoy the game we love.
A fine, tight inland course recognised by The R&A as an Open Qualifying venue and a regular host for EGU and County events. Originally laid out in 1890, the Professional Golfer appointed to design the initial layout is sadly unknown although James Braid, most famous for his creation of the King's and Queen's courses at Gleaneagles, made a number of design changes including the new Par 3 5th hole which came into play in 1929.
It is heavily wooded with tree-lined fairways and is more than capable of defending itself against longer hitters with small and undulating greens. It is a course where both straight driving and attention to well-placed bunkers is essential. Although it has few slopes and affords easy walking, it provides an entertaining battleground and examination for golfers of all abilities.
At just over 6,500 yards the course is not long by modern standards and with the exception of two new holes created in 1969 (16th and 17th), has remained very much unchanged over the past 60 years. That it still remains difficult to beat par, despite changes in the modern game, is tribute to the original design that has for decades stood the test of time.