St Michael's Church

When the village moved down nearer to the river, St Michael’s was left romantically sited on a hilltop among beeches, with glorious views over the Medway valley to the Weald. Originally Norman, the church seems to have expanded to its present size around 1300; the piers and arches are clearly 14th-century, the windows and south porch mainly 15th-century, and the shingled spirelet has an attractive weathervane dating from 1704. Inside there are fragments of ancient glass, a Royal Arms of George II and two centuries of memorials dedicated to the Twysden family. The churchyard has some lovely 18th-century headstones.

Free entry - Donations welcome

Facilities

  • Groups welcome